The is a deceptively simple and very tasty rice to go with a curry.
With no meat it can fit any dietary plan or requirement.
I have also made this with cauliflower rice. In this case I treat it as a stir fry and use stock to stop it from sticking and to stay moist. I used a tsp of ground cinnamon instead of a cinnamon stick.
- 300g white basmati rice
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 300g sliced shiitake mushrooms (any mushroom will do)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 cardamom pods
- 10 black pepper corns
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves
- 1 tsp turmeric
- A large pinch of saffron
- 100g frozen peas
- 600ml vegetable stock
- Rinse the rice under cold water and drain throughly.
- Spray a heavy based pan with low calorie spray oil and place over a medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, peppercorns, bay leaf and cloves and cook for five minutes. Stir gently as they cook.
- Add the rice, turmeric, saffron, peas and stock plus salt to your taste.
- Bring to the boil over a high heat.
- Stir well and cover and cook on a low heat for 10 minutes. If your kid is not tight add tin foil below the lid to seal the pan. Weigh it down with the lid.
- Remove from the heat and leave for 10-12 minutes.
- Fluff up with a fork and serve.