Finding the cupboard bare (no arborio or pudding rice) but needing a pudding fix good old google came to the rescue with a simple search of ‘orzo, dessert’. Orzo pudding was the outcome and I actually prefer it to rice pudding now.
Ingredients (for 1 person who likes a decent portion):
- 50 grams orzo pasta
- 250ml no sugar almond milk (or milk or your choice). Add water if it need extra cooking time.
- 2 tbsp sweetener
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp no added sugar jam
- option vanilla essence
- optional ground cinnamon
- Put the pasta and milk into a pan, bring to the boil, stirring frequently.
- . Turn down to simmer for fifteen minutes or until as firm as you like it.
- Whilst pasta is cooking whisk the egg yolk, egg and sweetener together.
- When the pasta is cooked whisk or firmly stir the egg/sweetener mix into the cooked pasta.
- Take of the heat and serve with any extras you want. I went for jam. I have mentioned vanilla essence and ground cinnamon. You could put some nice fruit on top.