Now firstly I can claim no credit for this recipe. It comes directly from SW. All I would say is that if this sort of food tickles your taste buds then why not have a look into SW. There is an online version for those living overseas.
Advert over, here is the recipe for a dish I love. This is a real goody. I have highlighted the few changes you can make to turn this into a vegetarian dish. It needs no adapting to make it kosher or halal as long as you buy your meats (and stock) from a suitable vendor/source.
2 onions, halved and sliced thinly
2 carrots, grated
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
600ml of chicken stock (vegetable stock if you are using quorn)
1 tbsp mild or medium curry powder
4 tsps soy sauce
Pinch of sweetener
- Fry the onions for 4 or 5 mins until soft, adding splashes of water if they start to catch.
- Add the grated carrot and continue stir frying for another 5 minutes.
- Add all the other ingredients, stir and cook for 29 minutes on a medium heat.
- Blitz to a smooth sauce using a stick blender or large blender.
- 4 chicken fillets (quorn fillets will also work)
- 2 whole meal bread slices
- Finely zest of 1 lemon
- 3 eggs
- Pinch of salt
- Wrap each chicken fillet in clingfilm and bash with a rolling pin to flatten a bit (don’t bother trying this with a frozen quorn fillet the result will not be pretty).
- Blitz the bread in a food processor.
- Mix the lemon zest and salt into the bread crumbs.
- Beat the three eggs.
- Dip each fillet in the egg and then the bread crumbs.
- Lay the breaded fillets on a baking tray.
- Pour any remaining egg onto the fillets and then spray with low calorie spray.
- Bake in an oven (Gas Mark 6 /180 Celsius) until golden brown.
- Half a cucumber, halved again lengthways and thinly sliced
- 150ml white wine vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- Stir the cucumber, vinegar and salt together.
- Put in a fridge and leave for at least half an hour.
- Slice the chicken, keeping the overall shape of the fillet.
- Put the Katsu sauce on the plate.
- Lift the chicken with a slice and lay on top of the sauce.
- Add rice and a good pile of pickled cucumber.
- If you are trying to impress someone place some sliced chilli and long strips of lime zest on top of the rice.