If, like us, you have a rhubarb plant growing like mad at the moment you will be looking for things to do with it. This is an adapted BBC Food recipe for cordial that comes in at 1/2 a Syn per 25ml and that is rounded up. Best of all it takes no more than 30 minutes to make.
Use for a soft drink treat or maybe with gin for a Rhubarb G and T.
The only thing you will need that you might not have in is something like muslin to filter it through. I used the filter from my yoghurt maker.
- 400g chopped rhubarb
- 15 tbsp sweetener
- Juice and zest of one orange
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- 1cm on fresh ginger sliced
- 300ml water
- Add all the ingredients to a large saucepan.
- Cook over a medium heat until the rhubarb is falling apart.
- Strain through a sieve lined with muslin (or an alternative).
- Pour into sterilised jars/pots.
This should make at least 600ml of cordial (24 portions) and I have kept the cooked rhubarb to use on a dessert (minus ginger pieces).