This is another great recipe for using up surplus tomatoes if you have been growing them, or just a great sauce that is far superior to jars of pasta sauce. This is the really lazy version with the only real effort in slicing the tomatoes in half.
Unlike many recipes I have seen this uses no sugar, or onions and instead of tbsps of olive oil, this uses only a good squirt of spray olive oil.
I apologise now for not giving a precise quantity of tomatoes used as I didn’t weigh them. What I can say is I had enough tomatoes to cover two baking trays.
This is also vegetarian and vegan so suitable for almost any dietary regime.
I can confirm that it is delicious.
- A large pile of cherry tomatoes (probably over 1kg)
- Spray olive oil
- 4 tsps of dry Italian herbs (or any fresh/dry combo you like).
- 4 tsps garlic granules
- 250ml veg stock.
- Salt and pepper to your taste
- Slice all the tomatoes in half and put in a large bowl.
- Add the herbs, garlic and seasoning.
- Spray the mix with olive oil spray stirring to coat well.
- Line two baking trays with grease proof paper or baking parchment.
- Put in a hot oven (250 C).
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a large pan.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil and then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Blend to your preferred smoothness. Is used a stick blender in the same pan.
- Cool, store, freeze or cook with straight away or any combination of the above depending on quantities made and the numbers you are feeding.