Today has included an old favourite for breakfast, Baked Oats, and then I ate out for lunch, meeting a former colleague.
Eating out is a real challenge as you have less control over what is in your meal. You can,and many do, as for food to be prepared differently. I have done this but prefer finding something on the menu that looks tasty and by nature more in keeping with my diet,
Today was an easy one as I knew of a dish on the menu that I have enjoyed before and is an almost perfect match. It is called 3 Salmons and consists of smoked salmon, gravlax, and baked salmon fillet. It is served with a salad (no problem), a dressing (a problem but only a light dribble used so I allowed myself this) and bread (a big problem and I chose not to eat this).
Eating out can be avoided but I would rather eat out when invited and pick carefully from the menu. Eating is meant to be a pleasure.
Dinner tonight was a real pleasure, using a recipe I had not tried before. This is an easy one that, after twenty minutes initial effort, is left for an hour on its own and then served. It also only uses one pan.Intrigued? Then read on.
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 2 precooked roasted red peppers (in brine not oil) chopped
- 300 grams of basmati rice
- 600 ml chicken stock
- Yoghurt (no fat)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 8 chicken thighs (on the bone), skin removed
- Brown the chicken thighs on all sides in a sturdy ovenproof dish sprayed with 1 calorie spray oil. Should take no more than ten minutes.
- Remove the chicken thighs and add the onions and cook for 5 minutes until soft and browned by the juices (not burned).
- Add the garlic and spices mix and cook for two minutes.
- Add the rice and peppers, mix and cook for two minutes.
- Add stock and then place the chicken thighs on top.
- Put a lid on the pan and place in a medium heat oven (180 c / Gas Mark 5 or 6).
- Leave for one hour.
- Serve with a dollop of yoghurt and sprinkle of coriander.