Ever had one of those days when you have one key ingredient but do not want to cook in the same ways you have always done.
Yesterday was one such day. I had two salmon fillets in the fridge looking for a tasty recipe. This is what I found and I am very glad I did.
Mushroom Pilaf (serves 2 as good sized dinner or 3 smaller portions)
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 onion finely chopped
1 small courgette cut into small cubes
100 grams frozen peas
1/2 can of chick peas ( I like the smaller darker chick peas)
Handful of fresh parsley or a table spoon of dried parsley
500 ml vegetable stock (the recipe said less but I had to add more)
2 salmon fillets (skinned removed) cut in to 1or 2 cm pieces depending on the fillet size.
125 grams basmati rice
0% Fat Natural Yoghurt
1. Spray a heavy pan with 1 calorie spray oil.
2. Heat the pan and then add the onion, turmeric and rice.
3. Cook for 3 or 4 minutes until the onions are soft.
4. Add the rice, stock, courgettes, chick peas and frozen peas.
5. Season to your taste.
6. Bring to the boil stirring regularly.
7. Reduce the heat and cover with a tight/heavy lid and leave to cook for fifteen minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
8. Remove the lid and stir in the basil and salmon.
9. Cover the again and leave for ten minutes.
10. Fluff up with a fork and serve with a good dollop of yoghurt.